01 of 05
Your Small Apartment Can Sure Have Good Feng Shui!
Applying feng shui in a small apartment or studio can be a challenge, as often there is little or no separation between your living, working and sleeping space. In other words, how do you apply feng shui if your bedroom is part of your living room, and the kitchen is right close to it, all areas with no walls to separate the different feng shui energies?
Even though this is a common situation in many big cities, it does not mean you can't have good feng shui in a small apartment or a... studio. Two main skills you absolutely have to master if you want to achieve good feng shui in a small apartment or studio are:
1. Clutter clearing and good organization skills.
2. The subtle skill of creating a harmonious division between different open areas.
Clutter clearing with feng shui, once you get to start practicing it, can become a really exciting and healing process. How about knowing how to create separations between areas with different activities, though? Wouldn't that make the space look even smaller? It might.
But you have to keep trying until you find the perfect solution for your small living space. Basically, you need to create pathways of energy in your small space and provide as much privacy as possible for your bedroom.
Each space will ask for specific solutions, you might be working from home, for example, thus you will need to deal with more space dividers/separations in your home. Some of the typical feng shui dividers for a small studio and apartment are: various screens (from rice paper ones to ornately painted screens), tall plants, a bookshelf or a row of curtains. To help you decide the best type of space divider to use, first find out the feng shui energy / feng shui element needed in the area. Knowing which feng shui element is needed for good feng shui in your home will help you with your choice.
For example, if you need a divider for the South feng shui area of your small studio or apartment, some good feng shui choices will be: a tall plant, a wood screen, a wood bookshelf or a row of red curtains. Choices that are not recommended, feng shui-wise, for the South area, are colors blue and black, or mirrored screens.
Let's look at some of the main feng shui priorities in a small apartment or studio.Continue to 2 of 5 below.
02 of 05
Front Door and Entryway
1. Main door & entryway. In feng shui, the main door is called the mouth of Chi, or Universal energy. If your apartment is small, it becomes especially important to have a clear and open entryway, thus allowing more energy to enter and nourish your living space. Space saving solutions, good lighting, uplifting art, vibrant or soothing colors and objects of beauty can be brought into any space independent of its size. Because your apartment is small, put an extra effort into having the... entryway as clean as possible, with no shoes, clothing or unnecessary items lying around in plain view.Continue to 3 of 5 below.
03 of 05
Sleeping Area / Bedroom
2. Sleeping Area / Bedroom. When you live in a small apartment, one of the biggest feng shui challenges is to create a bedroom space that feels (and functions) well as a bedroom. Be mindful of creating enough separation between your living and sleeping areas. Feng shui-wise, focus on the place you see first as you wake up and last before you go to sleep, and be sure this is not the TV, the computer or the laundry basket. Have some inspiring energy to greet you every morning.Continue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
Use of Mirrors
3. Use of Mirrors. Mirrors expand the space, attract more light, as well as bring the water feng shui energy. Easy to understand why mirrors are called the aspirin of feng shui! Definitely one of the best feng shui cures for a small apartment or a studio, mirrors will help you visually expand your space and create more breathing room. Best to choose big mirrors that go with your decor and place them to either bring more light or to reflect something beautiful. Best feng shui areas for mirrors... are East, Southeast, and North bagua areas of your apartment.Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Tiny Apartment Feng Shui Summary
Even though feng shui of a small apartment or studio can be a challenging and sometimes frustrating experience, be sure you can have good feng shui and good energy in a small space. You will also learn some invaluable skills, like the skill of surrounding yourself only with items that really matter, items that are really loved and needed. Quite a liberating experience, wouldn't you agree?
Continue Reading: How To Use Mirrors for Good Feng Shui