Fettuccine Alfredo is made with cream, butter, Parmesan cheese and parsley. It's a lovely sauce served just as it is. But to make it even more special you can add some grilled chicken, sliced into strips, to make chicken Alfredo. Add cooked shrimp to make shrimp Alfredo, or sautéed mushrooms for a vegetarian mushroom Alfredo.
- Fill a large soup pot with cold water and add a handful or so of Kosher salt. Stir and taste; it should taste like seawater. Cover the pot and heat the water until it boils.
- Drop the fettuccine into the boiling salted water and cook according to package instructions, about 6 to 9 minutes or until al dente, or tender but still firm to the bite.
- While the fettuccine cooks, heat the butter and cream in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat until it starts to bubble. Lower heat and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced somewhat. Remove from heat and cover.
- Add the cheese and toss until fully mixed. Adjust consistency with additional cream if necessary.
- Stir in the chopped parsley. Season to taste with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain fettuccine and toss with the Alfredo sauce. If desired, sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, garnish with additional chopped parsley and serve right away.