An egg breakfast casserole is the perfect dish for a holiday or weekend breakfast or brunch. The breakfast casserole can be prepared the night before, so all you have to do is take it out of the refrigerator and pop it in the oven in the morning. Round out the breakfast with sliced fresh fruit or berries and ham, sausage, or bacon, if you like.
This is a simple and tasty Tex-Mex style breakfast casserole, made with green chile peppers, eggs, and cheese. There's no meat in this version but browned bulk sausage would be an excellent addition.
I like to add sliced or chopped fresh tomatoes to the top just before baking. You could also add some breakfast diced ham or crumbled bacon or sausage after the cheese layer for a heartier casserole.
This recipe makes enough for four people. Double the recipe and bake it in a 2-quart baking dish for a larger family.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chile peppers, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar Jack cheese, or a Mexican-style cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Lightly butter a 1-quart baking dish or pie plate.
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs, half-and-half or cream, salt, and pepper; whisk the mixture until it is smooth and well blended. Stir in chopped green chile peppers.
- Sprinkle cheese over bottom of the prepared baking dish and then pour the egg mixture over the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until set.
- If desired, broil for a minute or two to brown the top.
Tips and Variations
- Use part pepper-jack cheese if you like extra heat.
- Sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup of cheese over the top of the casserole just before it's done baking.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes over the casserole before it goes into the oven, or top it with tomato slices.
- Add sauteed sliced mushrooms to the egg mixture along with the chile peppers.
- Add finely chopped onions to the egg mixture.
- Add about 1/4 cup of diced ham and some finely chopped onions bell peppers to the egg mixture and omit the chile peppers.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of browned sausage or crumbled bacon over the cheese layer.
You Might Like