These easy drop cookies are made with dried figs. Feel free to use chopped dates in the cookies.
Homemade Fresh Fig Jam
- 1 cup dried figs, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, 9 ounces
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, combine figs and water. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is a thick paste. Cool.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream shortening, butter, and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla; beat until smooth and well blended.
- Into another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk to blend thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, blending well.
- Stir in fig mixture until well blended. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 F for 11 to 14 minutes.
- Cool completely before storing in a tightly covered container.
Makes about 30 to 36 cookies.
You Might Also Like