An easy vegan pie crust recipe made with margarine and oil, instead of Crisco or solid shortening. And, since it has just a tiny touch of sugar, as one recipe reviewer noted, below, this vegan pie crust recipe is indeed perfect, whether for savory pies or for sweet dessert pies. This vegan pie crust recipe is so simple it's practically fool-proof, and, chances are, you probably already have all the necessary ingredients sitting at home in your cupboard.
Along with this basic homemade vegan pie crust recipe (made from nothing more than flour, shortening, water, and salt) this one, made from flour, sugar, vegan margarine, vegetable oil, salt and water, is the most popular vegan pie crust recipe, though there's plenty more to choose from. Scroll down for a few more easy vegan pie crust recipes to try, including chocolate cookie pie crusts, and of course, easy graham cracker crust ideas too.
Need to get inspired or looking for more vegan pie ideas to try? Browse the beautiful vegan pie gallery for plenty of inspiring vegan pie ideas!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon vegan margarine (I strongly prefer Earth Balance brand)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the vegan margarine, mixing until crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and water, then add to the flour and sugar mixture, mixing just until dough forms. You may want to use your (clean!) hands at this stage, in order to make sure all the flour gets incorporated well.
- Once the dough pulls together and there's no extra flour, cover the dough with plastic wrap, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Once your dough is rolled out, gently press it into a pie tin, trimming any extra bits along the edges.
- Your perfect flaky vegan pie crust is now ready to be filled up with whatever amazing ingredients you have planned!
Not sure if this is the perfect vegan pie dough recipe? (Hint: It IS!) Here are a few more dairy-free and egg-free homemade pie crust recipes for you to try, just in case: