01 of 03
Flapper Girl Ruffled Hat
Fun and frolics abound in this 1920s-inspired cloche hat.
- 1 skein of Elann.com Peruvian Highland Wool in shade 2713 Aubergine, or about 60 (80, 100) yards of medium weight yarn of your choice
- 1 skein of Elann.com Peruvian Highland Wool in shade 2010 Raspberry, or about 40 (50, 60) yards of medium weight yarn of your choice
- 1 pair size 6 US (4.5 mm) needles
- 1 16 inch circular needle size 7 US (4.5 mm)
- crochet hook, yarn needle, stitch marker and tape measure
Baby (Toddler, Child)... Circumference: 13.5 (16, 18.5) inches (Note: the brim makes the hat flare out at the bottom - if in doubt about which size to use, size down) Instructions given for smallest size with larger sizes in parentheses.
Sample knit in Toddler size, by Eileen Casey.
6 stitches and 8 rows to 1 inch over Blackberry Stitch pattern.
Beginning the Hat:
Continue to 2 of 3 below.
- Cast on 74 (90, 106) stitches and knit 1 row. Knit the first and last stitch on every right side row, and purl the first and last stitch on every wrong side row. These are the selvedge stitches and are not included in the pattern; all directions apply to the 72 (88, 104) stitches between the selvedges.
- Work in Blackberry Stitch pattern as follows:
Row 1 (right side): Purl
Row 2: *(K1, P1, K1) all in next stitch, P3tog. Repeat from * to end
Row 3: Purl
Row 4: *P3tog, (K1, P1, K1) all in next stitch. Repeat from * to end.
- Continue in pattern until piece measure 4 (4.5, 5) inches, ending with a wrong side row (either Row 2 or 4 of pattern).