Lattes come in many flavors and you can make a Caffe Latte taste almost any way you like. You simply need to add the flavor of your choice and a brilliant, new coffee drink is ready to enjoy.
Flavored lattes are a very popular drink at coffeehouses, particularly in the United States. From year-round favorites like vanilla and cinnamon to seasonal treats like those pumpkin spice lattes, these drinks are hot (or cold) and easy to make at home.
What is a Flavored Latte?
Flavored lattes are, quite simply, a Caffé Latte with flavoring syrup or powder added. The steamed milk and espresso drink is the perfect foundation for extra flavor. The milk acts as a blank canvas that is just waiting for your taste buds to decide what to paint on it.
- Popular flavors include vanilla, peppermint, Irish crème, caramel, cinnamon, almond, hazelnut, toffee, buttered rum, orange, and raspberry.
- Flavored lattes are delicious served either hot or cold and even the 'winter' flavors make a great iced latte.
- Any combination of flavors is possible, so don't stick to just one. You can order a cinnamon-vanilla latte, a strawberry-raspberry latte, a marshmallow-coconut latte, or whatever you like. If the coffeehouse has the ingredient, they're often happy to add it.
- Flavored lattes may be topped with whipped cream or other toppings.
Try one of these lattes for an added flavor dimension, a seasonal treat, or a way to ease your taste buds into more “serious” espresso drinks.
How to Make Flavored Lattes at Home
The basic Caffe Latte recipe is very easy and you can use a syrup or powder to add flavor to it. No matter which ingredient you use, add it after the coffee and before the milk.
In most cases, a syrup is the easiest way to add flavor. The coffee shop down the street will have a line-up of popular flavors, but you don't have to go to such extremes.
Choose one or two of your favorites, to begin with and if you find that you enjoy making lattes, you can always add to your collection.
For syrups, you have two options: buy or make your own. Simple syrup is very easy to make (that's why it's called 'simple') and it's just as easy to add the flavor of your choice.
- Homemade syrup is good for fruits, spices, and herbs.
- Cinnamon, vanilla, orange, and raspberry are among the syrups you'll want to make at home.
Some flavors, however, are not so easy. That pumpkin spice syrup which is so crucial for Pumpkin Spiced Lattes is a perfect example. Yes, you can put the flavors together in a syrup, but there are syrup companies who have already perfected the recipe.
- Chocolate and caramel syrups are others that you should consider buying.
Some of the best syrup brands include Amoretti, Monin, and Torani. They have more syrups to choose from than you'll know what to do with and many also offer sugar-free options.
Powders are not used as often as syrups for the simple fact that there's no need to dissolve a syrup. The most common powders for lattes are chocolate, vanilla, and teas like matcha or masala chai.
Flavored Latte Recipes
If you need inspiration for your latte flavors, try these fun recipes.
- Gingerbread Latte - A seasonal flavor comes to life in this vegan-friendly, made-from-scratch latte recipe. It's actually quite easy and you can even use instant espresso powder.
- Instant Iced Chai Latte - A powdered masala chai tea is either blended or mixed with milk for a quick and easy iced latte.
- Yerba Mate Latte - You'll have fun saying the name of this tea-flavored latte while you drink it. It's warm and delicious and mixes up in jut a few minutes.