Do you believe that the best type of job, for a mom, should be flexible, high-paying and enjoyable? If your job does not fit this description you've work to do and we can help!
First, which of these three characteristics are most important to you, work flexibility, salary, a work environment that values children, or a company that protects your rights (if you're like the majority, you prefer flexibility).
Next, how is your current role not supporting what you value? Is there someone in... your organization that could help you out? If not, then it doesn't hurt to start looking for a place that'd be a good fit.
Luckily we have some resources to help you find a job that fulfills what you value most.
01 of 04
How to Find a Job That is Flexible
Your life as a working mom stretches from the intense days of caring for a newborn to the hectic time of preparing your high school senior to leave the nest. So it shouldn't be a surprise that the best jobs for moms are flexible, letting you ramp up your attention on your career and allow you slow down when the demands at home are more pressing.
Ideally, you would start thinking about flexibility when you choose a career field. But even if you're already a successful executive, it's... never too late to negotiate a flexible schedule.
Here are some tips you can follow to find or create a flexible work schedule:
- 6 Steps to Follow When Proposing a Flexible Work Arrangement
- How to Overcome Some of the Stress That Occurs When Life Meets Work
- Working Moms, Here's How to Get What You Want (Like a Flexible Work Schedule) in 5 Sentences
- How to Get the Nerve to Go for Flexible Work Opportunities
- 4 Reasons Why Companies Need to Be More Flexible with Working Parents
02 of 04
Unfortunately, it's no use having an amazing, flexible job if your take-home pay won't cover child care. That's why it's important to pursue a career that will earn enough so when you do want to dial back the intensity, you can afford to do so.
Traditionally, male-oriented fields pay better than those dominated by women. But with an increase demand for nurses, historically female professions can have a resurgence. Learn about the pay scales in your field and related areas through... networking and research, and you'll be in a better position to angle your way to more money.
- Find a High-Paying Job With Part-Time Hours
- 9 Ways A Working Mom Can Advance Her Career
- What Does "Leaning In" Mean for Working Moms?
- 5 Ways Working Mothers Can Make Extra Money From Home
- How to Excel and Enjoy Your Next Social Networking Event
- The Best Work from Home Jobs For Moms
- If You're Pregnant Does One of These Types of Jobs Appeal to You?
03 of 04
How to Find a Job that Celebrates Children
So often, we try to leave our personal life at home and act "all business" at work. Wouldn't it be great to have a job where you could be seen as a whole person - mom, woman and worker - and freely discuss your children?
Take your cues from those around you when chatting about family life or bringing kids to the office. But don't be afraid to push boundaries, in an appropriate way, in acknowledging that you have home and care giving responsibilities. You may find that your first... step frees your co-workers to discuss their family too, creating a more collegian and connected workplace.
Here are some resources that will help you manage your children and get the support you need while at work:
04 of 04
It should go without saying that the best jobs for moms respect your rights as an employee. Unfortunately, pregnancy discrimination still happens, and the work-life literature documents how the mommy track can derail a promising career.
Make sure you understand your rights and stay alert for warning signs that a prospective employer isn't progressive when it comes to working moms. For instance, when a hiring manager asks whether you're married or have children, during a job interview. The... question alone is illegal in most states, and certainly doesn't signal a family-friendly culture.
- The Mommy Track - Will It Lead You to Career Paradise or Purgatory?
- A Beginners Guide on Maternity Leave Laws
- What Would You Give to Save Your Job?
- 5 Sweet On-the-Job Perks that Supports Working Motherhood Success
- 2017 Family Friendly Workplace Laws Working Moms Can Look Forward To
- Understanding FMLA Leave
Finding the Right Job for Moms is Possible
If you're working in a job that doesn't fit with your values it's hard to overlook this. Living your life according to your values makes it easy to wake up in the morning and head to work! Hopefully the resources we shared will help you make the right choice for your next job.