Floorplanner is hands down the best free online room design application out there. It's at the top of the list because while it's easy to use it's also got all the options that you could want from an online room design application — a ton of furniture choices, great tutorials and the ability to view your design in 3D catapults Floorplanner to the top.
You might find a lot of things to like when you start using Floorplanner to design a room, though there are some minor negatives as well.
You can choose to view your design in 2D or 3D
It's very easy to set room shape and dimensions
You'll be able to create a house and rooms in a snap with the easy to use tools
You can export the design to a PDF
There are both written and video tutorials that will help you quickly get started
There are tons of options for furniture, flooring and other objects
Drag-and-drop support makes designing feel natural
It may be too detailed if you're looking for a quick one-room project
You have to make a free account to design a room
Here are some more details on Floorplanner that are worth mentioning:
- Floorplanner works on any operating system because you don't have to install a program to use it. It works right through your web browser;
- The basic, free account lets you create one project, add photos and videos, and view your floor plan on the mobile app;
- Up to three floors can be included in one project;
- There are Undo and Redo buttons;
- The Build menu lets you draw walls or a surface to your floor plan, as well as add doors, windows, and structures;
- The main menu can be hidden for extra space to work on your floor plans;
- You have to register for a free account before you can use Floorplanner but you can link that to your Google account;
- Switching to a different floor in your plan is as easy as choosing one from the drop-down menu;
- Use the Decorate menu to find the furniture, colors, materials, and other basic objects that you can include in your floor plan;
- The Organize menu is for adding comments and signs or icons, drawings lines, and more;
- Change the wall thickness, 3D wall height, and other things from the Settings menu;
- There's a design gallery where you can view creations made by other users and upload your own.
Beyond Floorplanner's Free Version
If you want to get more out of Floorplanner, they have two more tiers above the free account. This current pricing chart compares the prices and outlines what features you can get. With pro accounts, you'll be getting high-resolution images, 3D renders, PDF to scale options, and be able to embed your floorplans on your website.