I was working on crocheting a granny hexagon with flower center; for my first attempt I used a similar small flat flower applique that looks a little like this flower. I wasn't thrilled with the way that version of the hexagon turned out, because the flower petals were a little too wide and much too close together for the project I had in mind.
So I decided to try a new version of the flower, making the petals longer, slimmer and further apart. This flower is the result of that experiment.
- Yarn or Crochet Thread: You could crochet this flower using any yarn or crochet thread. I think it is nicest when crocheted with a smooth yarn, but I'd be interested to try it with a variety of different novelty yarns too. I used a medium weight yarn, Cascade 220, to crochet the sample flower. Cascade 220 is a lovely soft wool that is available in a wide range of beautiful colors.
- Crochet Hook: I used a size I crochet hook to crochet the sample flower. This is a good size to use with medium weight yarn, but you could choose a different size depending on the yarn or thread you want to use, and the size you want your flower to be.
- Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
Finished Flower Size
This crocheted flower measures about 2 3/4 inches when crocheted with Cascade 220 and a size I crochet hook.
Your finished flower sizes will vary based on the yarn and hook you use (plus other factors such as your individual way of crocheting.)
Brackets  denote a set of instructions within the pattern that should be repeated.
Crochet Abbreviations Used in This Pattern:
- beg = beginning
- ch = chain
- ch-3 = 3 chain stitches
- dc = double crochet
- Rnd = round
- sc = single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- st = stitch
- tr = treble crochet stitch
- Ch 5. Join with a sl st to form a ring.
- Rnd 1: Work 11 sc sts in ring. To join the work, sl st in the 1st sc in the round.
- Rnd 2: [ch 3, tr in the sc st that touches the ch-3, ch 3, sl st in same sc st, 1 sl st in each of the next next 2 sts.] Repeat the sequence in brackets 5 more times for a total of 6 flower petals.
- End off. Weave in Ends.