Whether you are celebrating a child's birthday, first communion, or springtime holiday, a flower theme works perfectly for a backyard that is already in bloom. Spring, however, isn’t the only season to celebrate with a flower party. A combination of artificial flowers and seasonal blooms make the flower theme a lovely option for any occasion, at any time of year.
01 of 05
You can either use store bought flower themed invitations, or easily create your own floral invites. One idea is to use a flower shaped cookie cutter as a template to trace and cut flower shapes out of colored card stock. Draw in the details and decorate the flower with a variety of embellishments such as colored markers, glitter, rubber stamps and ribbon. Write the party details on the back and send it off in an envelope you’ve decorated in matching floral accents.
More Suggestions for... Flower-Themed Party Invitations
- Have your child draw and color flowers onto blank note cards.
- Use a rubber stamp to decorate ordinary invitations with a floral design.
- Print the party details on large mailing labels. Stick them to the backs of flower seed packets, add a stamp and send.
02 of 05
You can purchase several floral decorations from the craft store, party supply store or even the dollar store. Homemade decorations are also an option, many of which are easy enough to create, such as these tissue paper flowers.
Additional Decorating Ideas
- A flower-shaped rubber stamp or even a flower cookie cutter dipped in paint is all you need to add a floral pattern to a tablecloth, party banner or a carpet runner for the party’s entrance.
- Drape flower garlands over archways and the backs of... chairs.
- Plant lollipop flowers into a foam block placed inside of a large flower pot and set as the table’s centerpiece. Another option for lollipop flowers is to label them with the names of your guests and use them as place cards, either by laying one on each plate or planting them in miniature flower pots and setting them just above each place setting.
- Dress your buffet or dessert table with a green tablecloth. Line the border with small picket fencing. Place flowers along the fencing and prop some among the food, to make your table look like a garden.
03 of 05
Games and Activities
Keep the floral theme going with a variety of games and activities:
- Musical flowers (cut out large flower shapes and place in a row on the floor. Use these as the seats to play musical chairs. Play a flower themed song such as Ring Around the Rosie as the music for this game.
- Have a watering can relay race where players must use a watering can to fill a large bucket with water. If playing this game indoors, use confetti instead of water to save floors and carpets from inevitable spills.
- Use... floral-themed rubber stamps to create artwork.
- Paint flower pots or watering cans.
- Plant flower seeds in small pots.
- Make Flower Bracelet Balloon Animals.
- Make floral headbands or leis by stringing silk flower petals.
- Make flower-shaped sugar cookies and have kids decorate them with icing, sprinkles and a variety of small candy pieces.
04 of 05
That flower shaped cookie cutter isn’t off duty yet! Put it to work creating some of your flower party menu items. Ideas include:
Continue to 5 of 5 below.
- Flower-shaped sandwiches.
- Flower quesadillas.
- Flower-shaped pizza muffins (cut the shapes before topping with sauce and cheese).
- Cookie flowers.
- Flower-shaped brownies.
- Marshmallow cereal treat flowers.
- Make flower cupcakes or a flower-garden themed cake.
- Serve other snack food such as chips, pretzels or even pasta from flower pots. Use garden shovels as the serving spoons.
- Ser...ve the beverages from watering cans.
- Use candy pieces to decorate the tops of cupcakes to look like flowers.
05 of 05
Party crafts like the painted flower pots or floral beaded jewelry made at the party can also double as the party favors. Additional suggestions for take-home gifts:
- Flower pot and flower seed packets.
- Miniature watering cans.
- A box of flower shaped cookies.
- A bouquet of fresh flowers.