This is a delicious frosting with a caramel flavor, and it's super easy to prepare. I used reduced fat cream cheese in this recipe. This recipe is easily halved if you want to frost a small 1-layer cake, a loaf cake, or a dozen cupcakes.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup purchased thick caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add the caramel sauce and vanilla; beat until well blended. Add 3 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar and beat on low speed until blended. Add more confectioners' sugar, if needed. Increase mixer speed and beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
Makes about 3 cups of frosting, enough tor 24 cupcakes or a 2-layer cake.
Tips for Frosting:
- Beat buttercream frosting for 10 minutes or longer for a super smooth and satiny texture.
- If frosting is too thick to spread or pipe, thin with milk or cream, beating in about 1 teaspoon at a time until you get the desired consistency.
- To create special effects without piping:
- Swirl with a spoon to make waves and peaks.
- Draw a small spatula or butter knife through the frosting in a zigzag pattern.
- Smooth the frosting with a wet knife, then run a fork over the icing to make ridges.
- Frost then drizzle with melted semisweet chocolate. Refrigerate until the drizzle sets.
Cake and Cupcake Suggestions
You Might Also Like