This pie pastry is a snap to prepare with the help of your food processor. The recipe makes enough pastry for a 1-crust pie.
Basic Cream Cheese Pie Crust
Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces, ice cold
- 4 tablespoons shortening, cut in small pieces, ice cold
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt to blend. Add the ice cold butter and shortening pieces and pulse about 4 times for 2 seconds each time. The mixture should have some pieces of fat the size of peas and lentils. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of ice water as you run the processor, then pulse in very small amounts of ice water until the mixture looks like large crumbs and holds together when squeezed with your hand.
- Shape it into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill for 20 to 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a circle about 1 to 2 inches larger in diameter than the pie plate.
- Fit into the plate and follow your pie recipe for baking (or pre-baking). Makes enough pastry for 1 pie shell.
See Also How to Prepare a Prebaked Pie Crust
- Replace half of the shortening in the recipe with chilled butter.
You Might Also Like