May is about Moms, remembering those who have passed on with Memorial Day, and also being aware of the need for more foster families.
Goals for the National Foster Care Awareness Month Campaign
- Raise awareness about the magnitude of the issue and the urgent and sustaining needs of children and older youth in foster care and their families;
- Issue a national CALL-TO-ACTION that motivates, inspires and facilitates many more Americans to come forward and help change a lifetime for a young person in foster care; and,
- Develop a positive framework for maintaining visibility and interest in the foster care issue to support the year-round efforts of the National Foster Care Month Partner organizations and other child welfare agencies.
Foster Care Month also gives provides an opportunity for acknowledging the thousands of dedicated foster families and other caring individuals and organizations who are already supporting these young people.
Why do we celebrate it and who started it?
It all started in 1988, with Senator Strom Thurmond and encouragement from the National Foster Parent Association.
Celebrating Foster Care Awareness Month
Daily activities to help celebrate and spread the word about the need for more foster parents.
- Foster Care Awareness Month - Ideas for Each Day of the Month
- National Foster Care Awareness Month Main Home Page
It wouldn't be a celebration without gifts.
More Information on Foster Care
Foster Care Basics - Learn how to become a foster parent.
10 Things You Can Do Now to Be Ready to Do Foster Care Later- Thinking about being a foster parent, but know you're not ready yet? Here are some ideas to prepare yourself.
- NFPA offers a comprehensive website, training, conferences, and scholarships to assist foster families in the day-to-day business of raising abused and neglected children.
Foster Parent Inspiration
12 Prayer Requests for Children in Foster Care - Janet Farrand, shares this beautiful article that most foster parents and others who serve children in care can relate to.
11 Ways for Your Agency to Maintain Foster Families - A gentle reminder to social workers and other team members that foster parents are more than babysitters.
10 Ways to Help Children in Foster Care - Other options for those who want to help, but can't commit to long-term care of a child.
21 Foster Parenting Truths - Keith Thompson shares a Christian viewpoint on foster parenting.
Famous Foster Kids - A list of those who made it to the top after being a foster child.