Patterns for 9" Quilt Blocks
Nine-inch quilt blocks are nearly always nine-patch designs. That means the layout begins with a grid of nine squares -- three across and three down. The individual grids are usually subdivided to create more grids.
Nine-Patch quilt blocks can be created in any size, but we usually take a look at the gridwork and assign a size for each grid that works best for rotary cutting tasks.
Many of the quilt block patterns linked below include instructions for multiple sizes.
Quilt Blocks with Straight Grain Patches
All of the quilt blocks in this group have either rectangular or square patchwork that's cut along the fabric's sturdy straight grains. That means less stretch and improved accuracy.
- Bishop Hall Quilt Blocks has a series of bars and squares as its foundation.
- Domino Net Quilt Block is shown in the photo.
- Framed Squares are perfect for baby quilts and scrap quilts.
- Nine Patch Chain Quilt Blocks have patchwork that links diagonally.
- Rainbow Stairways quilt blocks have a staircase-like look that can be sewn in colors of the rainbow or any other theme.
- Roman Square Quilt Block Pattern is an all-time favorite design.
- The Hen and Her Chicks is created with bars and small nine patch units.
Quilt Blocks with Triangles and Other Bias Edge Patches
Although the quilt blocks in this group are all made with triangles, I've used quick piecing techniques to help you avoid handling the fabric's stretchy bias edge.
- Album Leaf has a central patch that can be used for signatures.
- Card Trick Quilt Block Pattern is a favorite patchwork quilt block.
- Churn Dash Quilt Block is an easy traditional quilt block.
- Diamond Panes Quilt Blocks are made with large triangles separated by a narrow sashing.
- Garden Maze Quilt Block Pattern is a traditional favorite.
- Grecian Square Quilt Block Pattern is a block similar to Churn Dash.
- Lady in Red Quilt Block Pattern is one version of Lady of the Lake.
- Maple Leaf Quilt Block Pattern is a traditional pattern that's similar to Bear's Paw, another all-time favorite.
- Maryland Beauty is a very easy quilt block made with quick-pieced triangles.
- Monkey Wrench Quilt Block Pattern is a traditional patchwork quilt block.
- Ohio Star Quilt Block Variation in multiple sizes.
- Patchwork Tulip Quilt Block Pattern is easy to construct with quick piecing techniques.
- Paths and Stiles Quilt Block Pattern is one of my favorites.
- Practical Orchard Quilt Block Pattern is a very simple quilt block with a few triangles.
- Road to California is a quilt block with a strong focus along the diagonal.
- Simplified Dolly Madison Star Quilt Block Pattern is similar to Ohio Star.
- Watermill Blocks are easy to make and combine bars and triangles.