01 of 06
Materials & Cutting DirectionsMaterials List:
- 3/4 Yard of 44-45" wide fabric - white or an appropriate novelty print. Hot chili pepper print comes to my mind.
- 4" of 1" wide hook and loop tape
- Sewing Machine
- 22" circle with 3 1/2" slit towards the middle from one edge
- 8" by 25 1/2" band on straight of grain of fabric and of interfacing - Cut the interfacing to match this band. Baste or fuse the interfacing and work them as one piece through the rest of the directions.
- 7...34; strip of bias double folded tape (3/8" wide when folded)
Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Attach Bias TapeApply bias tape to the slit in the circle.
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Gather & Attach the Circle to the BandRun gathering stitches (2 to 3 rows of basting stitch) on the edge of the circle. Set aside.
Place wrong sides of the band together folding the band in half on the 25 1/2" length. Use a 1/2" seam on each end of the strip. Turn right sides out and press so that the raw edges are together.
Find the 1/4 marks of the circle, using the slit for one mark, by folding the circle in quarters.
Fold the band in quarters and mark the quarter points.
Gather the circle to fit the band, matching bias tape edges to... the ends of the band and the quarter marks that you made on the band and the circle.
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Sew the Circle to the BandUse a 1/2" seam to attach the circle to the band. Serge or zigzag the seam allowance.
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Top Stitch the BandTop stitch the edges of the band, using the top stitching to tack the seam allowance to the band.
Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Attaching the Hook & Loop TapeFold the band in half up towards the hat.
Finger press this crease.
Line the hook and loop up along this crease as shown in the photo. Make sure you have the hook and loop on opposite sides of the band so they will overlap to close the hat.
Top stitch the hook and loop tape in to place.