01 of 06
Why make a stuffed animal hammock? Stuffed animals and dolls can rapidly take over a child's room, and they consider them their friend that couldn't possibly be stuffed in the closet. This hammock solves the problem and keeps the stuffed toys in one location.
Continue to 2 of 6 below.
- 1 3/4 - 2 yards of 60" wide fabric -- a fabric with some stretch works best. This is enough fabric for two hammocks.Tips for Sewing Knits and Stretchy Fabric
- Thread to match How to Choose Thread Color to Match Your Sewing... Fabric
- Drapery or craft cord
- 3 sturdy cup hooks (you may also need wall anchors)
02 of 06
03 of 06
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- Cut off each corner so there is 2" across the corner.
- Turn under each corner 1/4", turn under another 1/4" to enclose the raw edge.
- Press and stitch the corners in place.Tips for Sewing Knits and Stretchy Fabric
- Repeat for all three corners.
04 of 06
The Sides and Inserting the Cording
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Turn under and press 1/2" on each side.
- Turn under another 1/2" to enclose the raw edges.
- Insert the drapery or craft cord in the fold, leaving a few inches out at the corner.
- Stitch the inside folded edge on each side (keeping the cording away from the stitching) stopping and leaving a 2 inches loop of cord at each corner.
05 of 06
Continue to 6 of 6 below.
- When all the sides are sewn, knot the ends of the cord.
- Knot again. Hand sew the knot together if you are not secure about the knot staying knotted.
- Trim excess cord.
- Work the knot into the side seam by pulling from another corner.
- Evenly distribute the cord to have an even amount of cord at each corner.
- Knot the cord just past the ends of the fabric.
06 of 06
Secure the Cording at the Corners
- Stitch through the fabric at the corners, sewing over the corner to lock it into place.
- Place one hook at the corner of the wall and a hook out from the corner, the length of the sides of the hammock.
- Make another one for another corner of the room, if there are more stuffed animals than hammock. Top 20 Free Teddy Bear Sewing Patterns can help make more!