01 of 07
Materials and Cutting
- 6 1/2 inches of 44-45" wide holiday or novelty print fabric (9 inches of fabric for a larger bottle)
- Approximately 12" of 1" wide or narrower ribbon
- Cut a 6" wide band of fabric leaving the fold intact.
- Measure 18" from the fold and cut so that you have a 6" X 18" piece of folded fabric.
Continue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
Marking the Fabric
Working with the fabric folded and the right sides together, mark both sides of the fabric with a dot 10 1/2" and 11 1/2" from the folded edge on each edge.
Continue to 3 of 7 below.
03 of 07
Sew the Side Seams
- Using a 1/4" seam allowance, stitch the side seams, leaving the 1" area between the red dots un-stitched. Backstitch where you stop and start stitching to reinforce the seam.
- Press the seam open, clipping the seam allowance at the fold.
- Apply a seam finish to the seam allowance raw edges.
- How to Sew a Seam
- Choosing a Seam Finish
Continue to 4 of 7 below.
04 of 07
Square the Bottom
- At the bottom of the bag, fold the fabric to match the seam line with the bottom fold line, creating a triangle.
- Measure 1" from the point in on the seam allowance.
- Stitch perpendicular to the side seam, as shown in the diagram.
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
05 of 07
Prepare the Top of the Bag
- Turn under 1/4" on the top of the bag, bringing wrong sides of the fabric together. Press well.
- Fold the top of the bag, wrong sides together, so that the turned under top edge is just below the bottom of the opening in the side seam. Repeat for both sides
- Press the top folded edge keeping the fold even across the top of the bag.
Continue to 6 of 7 below.
06 of 07
Sew the Ribbon Casing
Top stitch, on each side of the side seam opening, to create a casing for the ribbon.
Continue to 7 of 7 below.
07 of 07
Drawstring , Alterations & Tips
- Press the bag as it was sewn. Turn the bag right side out and press.
- Use a safety pin or bodkin to place the ribbon in the casing bringing the ribbon in opposite directions through the front casing, with one end out each side.
- Place the bottle in the bag. Gather the casing by pulling the ribbon. Tie the ribbon, enclosing the front of the bag.
- Use machine embroidery on the center of the bag before assembling.
- Use a couple pieces of ribbon and tie them together as one ribbon.
- Use... glitter and metallic fabric for a special New Years Eve gift bag.
- For a larger bottle, such as the 1.75 liter bottles, change the width of the 6" measurement to 9" and make the bottom corner stitches, 2" in from the end of the triangle.