These tuna sandwiches are battered and fried in a style similar to the famous ham and cheese "Monte Cristo" sandwich. The tuna salad filling is a classic combination of tuna, mayonnaise, and chopped celery. A small amount of lemon juice and basic seasonings flavor the mixture.
The sandwiches are assembled and then dipped in the egg and milk batter and fried on a griddle or in a skillet. These French toasted tuna sandwiches are a nice change of pace.
- 1 can (approximately 7 ounces) tuna, flaked
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- dash pepper
- 8 slices bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
In a bowl, combine the tuna, celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper. Mix with a fork until well blended.
Spread the tuna salad mixture on 4 slices of the bread. Cover with remaining 4 slices of bread then cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
In a bowl, whisk eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup milk.
Carefully dip the sandwich halves in the egg mixture.
Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
Fry the sandwich halves in hot butter until nicely browned on both sides.
Tips and Variations
- Add a slice of American cheese to each sandwich before slicing and dipping.
- Add 2 tablespoons of finely chopped red onion to the tuna salad mixture.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of chopped dill pickle to the tuna mixture, or to taste.
You Might Also Like