This recipe for apricot cake is plain-Jane in everything but the taste. It's such a classic that many Germans know how to make this cake by heart. Fresh fruit makes this "Aprikosenkuchen" a steady summer coffee accompaniment, whether camping on the beach or relaxing on the balcony.
Makes 12 servings of Aprikosenkuchen.
- Use an 11-inch springform pan if you have one. Otherwise, try a 9x9 or 9x13-inch baking pan, but note that the baking times will vary. Butter and flour pan. Set aside.
- Cream the butter with the sugar and vanilla or vanilla sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in lemon zest.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt. Beat into the egg mixture. Add the buttermilk and mix well.
- Spread the batter into the baking pan. Place the apricots on top, cut side down.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Keep an eye on the cake, especially if you used a different pan size.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.