A plum crumble recipe, or plum crisp, made with fresh plums and a crunchy topping. The easy topping is made with a lightly spiced mixture of flour, sugar, and butter.
This is a nice dessert to make with fresh plums, and other fruits may be added to the plum mixture. Add some sliced pears, nectarines, apricots, or peaches to the fruit filling. Or replace the plums with pluots.
For single-serve desserts, divide the filling and topping among 4 to 6 buttered ramekins.
- 3 pounds fresh plums, pitted, quartered, about 5 cups
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Heat the oven to 375 F.
2. Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
3. Combine plums and brown sugar, stirring well to blend. Spoon the plum mixture into the prepared baking dish.
4. Sift together the flour, granulated sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the beaten egg, stirring lightly with a fork until mixture is crumbly.
5. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the plums and then drizzle with the melted butter.
6. Bake the plum crumble in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the plums are tender and the topping is lightly browned. Serve warm with whipped topping or ice cream.
- Bake in 4 to 6 individual ramekins to make single-serve desserts. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake as directed. They may take less time, so check after about 30 minutes.
- Replace about one-third of the plums with sliced pears, apricots, or nectarines.
- Replace the plums with pluots (a cross between a plum and an apricot).