This soup is a great way to use fresh summer tomatoes. The tomato soup includes rice and a variety of chopped vegetables for fresh-from-the-garden flavor.
Feel free to replace 1 to 2 cups of the chicken broth with tomato juice or V-8 Vegetable Juice for even more flavor.
Serve the soup with a grilled cheese sandwich for a fabulous lunch or dinner.
Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons uncooked long-grain rice or a rice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon or dried leaf thyme, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, sauté onion, celery, and carrots in butter until softened but not browned.
- Add tomatoes and a small amount of chicken broth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot, combine sautéed vegetables, remaining chicken broth and rice.
- Season with salt, thyme, and pepper.
- Simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with parsley. If desired, blend a few cups of soup and add back to the mixture for a thicker soup.