One of the best things about curling up in bed after putting fresh sheets on the bed is the crisp, clean scent, yet within a day or two, the smell often is gone. Instead of investing in expensive linen or fabric refresher sprays, you can create your own linen spray with your favorite scent. Not only very affordable to make, but this DIY linen spray can help refresh your clothes, towels and other fabrics in your house helping to keep everything smelling clean between laundry washes. Some suggested uses would be to spray the linen spray while ironing clothes or putting away laundry, or spraying your sheets and duvet just before bed to help promote a more restful sleep with a calming scent.
What You Will Need
- 3 ounces of unflavored vodka
- 20 drops of essential oil of your choice (such as lavender, rose, jasmine, sandalwood)
- 1 1/2 cups of distilled water
- Small funnel
- Small plastic or glass spray bottle
- Large measuring cup
- Mixing spoon
- Small label sticker (optional to create a custom label for linen spray)
- Computer and printer or pen (optional to create a custom label for linen spray)
Pour 3 ounces of vodka into a large measuring cup. Next, carefully add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil to the measuring cup. Popular options for linen spray include rose, lavender, or jasmine but feel free to create a linen spray with your favorite scent.
Add 1 1/2 cups of distilled water to the measuring cup and thoroughly mix the vodka, oil, and water together using a spoon. Unscrew the top of the spray bottle, and using the small funnel, pour the vodka, oil, and water mixture into the bottle. Place the spray bottle top back onto the bottle and your DIY linen spray is all done, it is just that easy to make!
Before every use of the linen spray, give a gentle shake to the bottle then spray the linen spray onto the garment, sheets, pillow, curtains or any other fabric surface that may need freshening.
To enhance your linen spray, and to help you not forget what is inside the spray bottle months later, you can create your own label by using label stickers. Either write on the label with a pen and stick it on the bottle or design a more graphic label using your computer and printer. When creating your label make sure to clearly label the scent, and a reminder to shake well before use.
- Feel free to experiment with mixing combinations of essential oils to create your own signature blend. Or try to create several different linen sprays for different uses, such as having one that is a lavender calming spray to help promote sleeping, while you can have a more floral spray for clothes or around the house.
- Instead of vodka, you can substitute distilled alcohol which can be purchased at drugstores but you will need to make sure to more thoroughly shake your linen spray before using it.