Fried okra recipe with cornmeal seasoned with salt and pepper then served browned and crisp. It goes perfectly with your meal as a side dish.
- Add about 2 to 3 inches of oil to a deep heavy skillet or Dutch oven. Don't fill the pan more than halfway. Attach a deep-fry thermometer and heat to 350 F. Alternatively, you may use an electric deep fryer.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Pour the buttermilk or milk into another bowl.
- Dip the okra pieces in the buttermilk and then roll in the flour coating mixture.
- Working in batches, lower the coated okra pieces into the hot oil.
- Cook the okra until golden brown.
- Using a metal slotted spoon, remove the okra to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot or place in a pan and keep warm in a preheated 200 F oven while you fry subsequent batches.
- Use a seasoned salt blend in place of the salt in the cornmeal mixture.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper to the cornmeal mixture.