01 of 07
Adding Fringe to a Crocheted Scarf Video
You won't believe how easy it is to make fringe! About.com's video hostess, Lucille, demonstrates a super easy method for adding fringe to a crocheted scarf. This method would also work for adding fringe to a knitted scarf. Below are some other articles that will interest you -- a basic how-to on crocheting a scarf, another on a beginner's scarf pattern and even a how-to on tying a scarf!
02 of 07
03 of 07
This crocheted chain fringe is a bit fancier than a plain fringe.
04 of 07
05 of 07
Beaded Fringe Instructions
Learn how to make beaded fringe. The best places to begin are Sandi Marshall's how to on crocheting beaded fringe and another basic about.com how-to by Jennifer VanBenschotenon, her Basic beaded fringe instructions.
Once you've got down the basics of beaded fringes, tackle one or more of these project ideas:
- Straight leg fringe A good thing about these various beaded fringes is that they can have a very contemporary look, as in this example.
- Corkscrew fringe, which uses two different bead... sizes.
- Branch fringe, which, as the title suggests, results in bead patterns that resemble a tree branch. This can be particularly fun if the beaded project itself is rather austere; the contrast is interesting.
- Leaf fringe, which looks somewhat like the branch fringe shown above.
- Loop fringe, which you're probably already familiar with. Although more conservative in appearance than some of the other fringes, loop fringes don't have to be "the same old thing," if you use interesting materials, such as crystals, fire polished beads, or glass rondelles.
- Twisted fringe -- another beaded fringe method illustrated by Jennifer. She points out that making these twists of graduated lengths can add real interest to your project.
06 of 07Our readers have weighed in on whether or not men's scarves should have fringe. Find out what they think, and tell us what you think too.
07 of 07
Fringe isn't the only way to trim a craft project; if you'd like to check out some other options, take a look at our free edging patterns. There're a lot of them -- 59! These how-to will help you to achieve a wide variety of different edgings ranging from very vintage to very now. Included are filet crochet edgings, rick rack edgings, more fringe and beaded edgings and more still. Enjoy!