Fruity Popcorn is a popcorn treat featuring salty nuts and popcorn covered in a light, crunchy candy coating bursting with fruit flavor. The fruit flavor comes from Jell-O, so you have a wide variety of flavors to choose from when making this candy.
I like my Fruity Popcorn to be on the lighter side, so I use a large amount of popcorn so that the kernels are not completely covered with the candy coating. If you like your popcorn completely covered with candy, use up to 50% less popcorn and nuts than the recipe calls for.
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 small package (3 oz.) fruit-flavored gelatin like Jell-O
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place the popcorn and the peanuts, if using, in a large bowl. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit/149 Celsius.
2. Combine the butter and the corn syrup in a small saucepan over low heat. Once the butter melts, stir in the sugar and the gelatin and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer it for 4 minutes, then remove it from the heat.
3. Pour the syrup over the popcorn and stir well until most of the kernels are coated. Scrape the popcorn onto the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer.
4. Bake the popcorn for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. As the popcorn cools it will harden. Break Fruity Popcorn into small pieces once cool.
5. Store Fruity Popcorn in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.