By the time kids are in late grade school, they're becoming a little too sophisticated (or so they think!) for the old standby games such as musical chairs or hot potato. On the other hand, they're not quite skillful enough to keep the conversation flowing throughout the entire party. So a party icebreaker game that provides them with fun, easy conversation questions is a great way to kick off a party and keep the chatter going when things slow down.
How the Game Works
You'll need a big basket or bowl, and small slips of paper with these questions written on them within the basket. Have enough questions so that there's one for each kid at the party, and as many as you think the group will need. Playing the game is simple - have the children sit in a circle facing one another. In turn, they should pass the basket around and take one of the questions. They must read the question out loud and answer it. Anyone else who would like to answer the question can take a turn with it. When the conversation for one question is completed, pass the bowl and the next person takes a question. Continue until it's time to move onto the next party activity. If refreshments are served later in the party, you might want to bring out the questions again so they have conversation starters handy if things get too quiet.
Icebreaker Questions for Kids
Here are possible questions for this icebreaker. Feel free to add other fun questions according to the group's interests. Beware of questions that will provoke too personal an answer, or spark hurt feelings in the group.
- What is your favorite book of all time and why?
- What is your favorite television program?
- If you could be an actor/actress in any movie, which would it be?
- If you could solve one of the world's big problems, which would you choose?
- If you could have either good looks or brains, which would you pick and why?
- If you could live under the ocean or on the moon, which would you choose?
- What is your most favorite food?
- What is your least favorite food?
- Name the best day of your entire life.
- If you could be great friends with any celebrity, who would you pick?
- If you had to give up one food for the rest of your life, would it be chocolate or pizza?
- If you could have a magical power, what would you want it to be?
- If you could have lunch with a famous historical figure, who would it be?
- If you could choose to be born at another point in history, when would it be?
- If you could study in another country for a year, where would you like to go?
- What animal do you wish you could change into at will, and why?
- What was your favorite toy when you were younger?
- If you could have picked your own name, what would it be?
- Invent a new item of clothing - describe it.
- What would be your perfect day?
- If you had three wishes, what would they be?
- If you could change one thing in the history books, what would you change?
- What would be your dream job?
- Invent a new piece of technology - describe what it would do.
- What is your favorite time of day, and why?