Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be all about your romantic partner. On the holiday meant to bring about feelings of love and happiness, think of your friends and family members. While you may reserve more romantic gifts for your partner or spouse, you can celebrate the holiday with friends by sending them cards that will put a smile on their face—or maybe even make them belly laugh.
Notes in Valentine’s Day cards don't always have to be mushy, especially when the card is meant for your buddies. Use this day to celebrate, smile, and make your friends laugh. Include a funny message in their valentine this year.
In elementary school, you probably remember giving out Valentine’s Day cards to everyone in your entire class. Now, you likely only give a card to the person you’re romantically involved with. But we think your elementary school was on the right track. Everyone deserves a card on Valentine’s Day, whether they are single or in a relationship.
Think of each and every one of your friends and send them a card to lift their spirits this Valentine’s Day. They will be sure to smile and the sentiment will make them feel great. If your friend is single, they might be feeling a bit down, especially during a holiday that's focused on romantic love. Make sure they know how much you care about them, too, and give them a Valentine’s Day card that shows it. Offer a funny joke or pun to give them a laugh and make their holiday that much better.
Puns are perhaps the most classic form of comedy. They use words with double meanings as their punchlines. While some argue that pun jokes are way too corny for comfort, others say they are the ultimate joke. Try one out on your friends to find out which way they lean.
- You’re one in a chameleon.
- I'd tell you a chemistry joke but I know I wouldn't get a reaction.
- Just like cheese, I think you’re grate.
- A toast to my butter half.
- I relish the fact that you’ve mustard the strength to ketchup to me.
- You are the loaf of my life.
- What did one pickle say to the other? You mean a great dill to me!
Do you have an inside joke or a funny memory of something embarrassing your friend did? Those always make excellent joke material. If you think it's something your friend would appreciate and laugh about, be creative and poke a little fun at your friend in your Valentine’s Day card to get them to crack a smile. Here are some examples of phrases you could include. Feel free to use one of these to help spark an idea, just make sure to customize these lines to fit your friend or include an inside joke between the two of you.
- Remember what happened to us last Valentine’s Day?! Let’s never make those mistakes again.
- Don’t drink too much wine this year! We all know what happens when you do that.
- Have fun this Valentine’s Day, but don’t try to get a last minute date again.
- We’re friends for a reason—you always have gum.
- Don’t worry that you’re single this Valentine’s Day. Your cat is the best date.
- Go easy on the sappy movies this year!
Sometimes, other people have said it best before you could even come up with the words. There are plenty of hilarious quotes concerning Valentine’s Day on the internet, and they’re just a search engine visit away. Some fun quotes to send to your friends this Valentine’s Day are often filled with puns or dry humor.
- “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” – Linda Grayson
- “Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings.” — David Sedaris
- “In the cookie of life, friends are chocolate chips.” – Salman Rushdie
- “I’ve been single for a while and I have to say, it’s going very well. Like… It’s working out. I think I’m the one.” – Emily Heller
- “Without Valentine’s Day, February would be … well, January.” — Jim Gaffigan
- “Valentine's Day: the holiday that reminds you that if you don't have a special someone, you're alone.” — Lewis Black
- “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.” — Charles M. Schulz