A baby shower is a fun event to celebrate the upcoming birth of a new baby. Everyone eats a little food; then they watch as the gifts are opened. But why should the mother-to-be have all the fun at this party? With a few well-chosen baby shower games, you can help your guests have fun, too.
Games are the perfect ice breakers for parties like this because it's likely that not everyone knows each other. Even if the guests are close, games can create a few unexpected memories. Plus, everyone loves to laugh and have fun, and this is an exciting occasion.
Choosing the Best Baby Shower Games
When choosing your games, remember that you shouldn't do anything that will make the guest of honor feel uncomfortable or self-conscious. Likewise, it's best to avoid games that make guests may embarrass guests. Silliness is good, dumb games are unnecessary.
A fun word puzzle or a quick guessing game is perfect. You don't need a lot of games, either. Guests will want to talk to each other and hear how mommy's doing; the games are just a bonus. Pick out a couple of games and use one to break the ice, then save one for later in the shower. It's not a bad idea to have a game as back up just in case the conversation starts to wane before the party's over.
You'll also need to decide whether you'll be awarding prizes for the winners. The prizes don't need to be anything large or fancy, just something to make them feel like they've won. Consider small candles, sachets, boxes of note cards, candy bars, refrigerator magnets, or any other small, universal gift.
You Don't Say, Baby!
Start the games the moment guests walk into the door. This is a fun game that forces guests to pay good attention to one another, and it's really hard to avoid the keyword at a shower. The challenge is half the fun.
Give each guest a diaper pin to pin onto her shirt when she arrives at the shower. When you're ready to begin the game, tell everyone they aren't allowed to say the word "baby," or they will forfeit their pin to the person who catches the mistake. The winner is the person with the greatest number of pins at the end of the party.
Do You Know Your Baby Food?
This is a multi-sensory baby shower game, but it's not for anyone who's squeamish.
Purchase a dozen or so baby food jars. Include meats, vegetables, fruits, and mixed varieties for extra fun. Cover the labels on the jars with a piece of opaque paper and write numbers on each.
When you're ready to begin, give each guest a sheet of paper and a pencil, then open the jars. Guests will examine each jar of food, smelling it or even tasting if they like. Then they have to guess what type of food it is. The guest who has the most correct answers wins.
More Games for Your Baby Shower
If you need more ideas, we have plenty to choose from. These are all very simple, and many don't require any special supplies beyond paper and pens. They're all challenging in some way, and all are sure to fill the room with laughter and smiles.
- Delivery Statistics Guessing Game - Have fun taking a guess baby's stats upon delivery.
- Mommy–Daddy Trivia Game - Familiarity leads to success in this game.
- Mad Lib - Put a funny spin on reality by creating a baby shower Mad Lib.
- Mommies and Babies - Do your guests know the correct names for animal babies? Gather a list of names for animal babies, scramble the words, and give a list to each team. Whoever figures out all the correct answers first will win.
- Baby Word Scramble - Turn this word scramble into a race of teams for extra fun. Similar to the animal baby game, pick a bunch of words that relate to babies for this game.
- Baby Picture Guessing Game - Everyone was a beautiful baby, right? Have all your guests bring their baby pictures and see if everyone can guess who's who.
- Guess the Number of M & M's - This is a simple guessing game with a sweet reward at the end. Place candies inside a cute jar and make sure you count how many there are. Have guests guess how many are inside and the person who is closest wins the chocolate.
- Can You Change a Baby? - This hilarious game is a timed contest. Grab a doll, a few diapers and see who can change a diaper the fastest.