A review of gardein brand's "Savory Stuffed Turk'y" vegetarian and vegan turkey substitute entree for Thanksgiving.
Gardein brand's fake meats (or vegetarian meat substitutes, or "mock meats", depending on what you prefer to call them) are universally loved, and caught on very quickly when introduced on the market just a few years ago. And with good reason! Gardein's vegetarian and vegan meat substitutes are chewy, aesthetically appealing, easy to use and absorb other flavors well, so you can cook with them and add any spices you like, just like real meat.
Gardein is one of the most popular producers of vegetarian and vegan meat substitutes on the market.
So, what is the gardein "Savory Stuffed Turk'y"? Gardein's "Savory Stuffed Turk'y" enjoys the same popularity around the holidays as their other substitutes do year round. This vegetarian and vegan turkey substitute comes frozen with two to a package and a little packet of vegetarian gravy. The turkey "meat" is breaded and stuffed with a classic cranberry stuffing, making it almost a complete meal in one.
Gardein brand's "Savory Stuffed Turk'y" is more than just a vegetarian and vegan turkey substitute or entree for your Thanksgiving dinner - it's a nearly complete vegan Thanksgiving meal for two in a bag.
Need a Thanksgiving meal for just the two of you? Only one or two vegetarians coming to dinner? If you need a no-fuss, no-mess vegetarian and vegan Thanksgiving meal for just one or two people, the gardein stuffed turky (not to be confused with the gardein holiday roast) is a great option.
Here's an overview of gardein's vegan turkey pros and cons:
Gardein Savory Stuffed Turk'y Pros:
- Cooks in less than 30 minutes
- Whole Foods prepares it, so you don't even have to turn on your oven, if you choose not to! Just wander in and order.
- Best visual appearance of all the vegetarian turkey substitutes (though this could also be a con, if you don't like "meaty" fake meats!
- Unlike other vegetarian turkey substitutes, the gardein brand turkey contains all natural ingredients that you can actually identify and pronounce. No mysterious chemicals here.
- Reasonably priced
- Only available seasonally
- Can be difficult to find, depending on where you live (though it should be available at all Whole Foods locations)
- The package only serves two, so you'd have to buy a lot, if you're feeding a crowd. Of course, if there's only two of you, this could be a "pro" rather than a con, but what's Thanksgiving without leftovers?