This easy crock pot cabbage soup is light and flavorful. The soup is loaded with vegetables, including cabbage, zucchini, carrots, and spinach.
If you prefer a vegetarian soup, replace the French onion soup with vegetable broth and chopped onions or minced dried onions.
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage
- 3 small zucchini, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt, to taste
- 12 ounces V-8 Vegetable Juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 1 to 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen spinach or chard
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
Chop the cabbage and add it to the crock pot. Add the diced zucchini, garlic, basil, pepper, kosher salt, vegetable juice, tomato paste, condensed soup, spinach, carrots, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on LOW for about 7 to 9 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Or cook on HIGH for about 4 to 5 hours. If cooking on high, check the soup and add some vegetable broth, beef stock, or water, as needed.
Garnish servings with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, crumbled bacon, or a dollop of sour cream, if desired, and serve the soup with freshly baked cornbread or crusty bread.
Tips and Variations
- Add some protein to the soup with a can (drained) of black beans, pinto beans, or great northern beans.
- Brown about 1 pound of ground beef and add it to the soup with the vegetables.
- Add 1/2 cup of sliced celery to the soup mixture.
- Add 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes to the soup, plain, stewed, or chili-style.
- Add 1 pound of sliced browned smoked sausage to the soup about 1 or 2 hours before the soup is done.
- Replace the condensed French onion soup with condensed beef broth or double strength vegetable broth. Add chopped onions or dried minced onions, if desired.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of diced cooked chicken to the soup about 30 to 60 minutes before it's done.