Chicken and shrimp go together surprisingly well, and this dish is no exception. The chicken and shrimp are perfectly flavored with garlic, basil, and simple seasonings. The flavors are similar to the popular dish, shrimp scampi.
Serve this chicken and shrimp combination with cooked linguine, angel hair pasta, noodles, or hot boiled rice. Add a tossed green salad or Caesar salad for a very special dinner.
Cut boneless chicken breast halves into strips or use chicken tenders in the dish.
- 2 to 3 boneless chicken breast halves or tenders, about 1 pound
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil, or 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning or seasoned salt blend
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish, optional
- Lightly pound chicken between sheets of plastic wrap to an even thickness. Cut the chicken into strips about 1-inch wide.
- Peel the shrimp. Draw the tip of a small, sharp knife down the back of a shrimp. Remove the dark vein or coax it out with the knife. Repeat with the remaining shrimp. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and then pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with olive oil.
- When the butter stops foaming, add the garlic, basil, parsley, salt, and seasoning. Reduce the heat to medium-low heat and add the chicken and shrimp. Cook the shrimp and chicken mixture, stirring, for about 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked through. If shrimp are small, add them a few minutes after adding the chicken. The shrimp will be opaque and pink when done.
- Spoon the chicken and shrimp mixture over hot cooked pasta or rice for serving. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.
- If you are using frozen cooked shrimp, thaw it in the refrigerator and add it about 5 minutes before the dish is done, or just long enough to heat the shrimp thoroughly.
- The dish may also me made with all chicken or all shrimp. Or make it with chicken and diced ham. Turkey ma
- Drizzle a tablespoon or two of fresh lemon juice over the chicken and shrimp just before the dish is done.
- Add minced shallots to the butter and olive oil along with the garlic and seasonings.
- Add a few tablespoons of sliced green onions to the butter and olive oil mixture along with the garlic.
- One reader suggested adding chopped bell peppers, Italian seasonings, and mushrooms. She served it with whole wheat pasta and Alfredo sauce on the side.
- Another reader suggested serving the pan juices as a dipping sauce for b
You Might Also Like