Chicken and shrimp go together surprisingly well in this fabulous dish. The chicken and shrimp are perfectly flavored with garlic, basil, and simple seasonings. The flavors are similar to the popular dish, shrimp scampi.
I served the chicken and shrimp with cooked linguine, but it would be great with angel hair pasta, noodles, or hot boiled rice as well. Add a tossed green salad or Caesar salad for a very special dinner.
Cut boneless chicken breast halves into strips or use chicken tenders in the dish.
- 2 to 3 boneless chicken breast halves or tenders, about 1 pound
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil, or 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning or seasoned salt blend
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish, optional
Lightly pound chicken between sheets of plastic wrap to an even thickness. Cut the chicken into strips about 1-inch wide.
Peel the shrimp. Draw the tip of a small, sharp knife down the back of a shrimp. Remove the dark vein or coax it out with the knife. Repeat with the remaining shrimp. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and then pat them dry with paper towels.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with olive oil.
When the butter stops foaming, add the garlic, basil, parsley, salt, and seasoning. Reduce the heat to medium-low heat and add the chicken and shrimp. Cook the shrimp and chicken mixture, stirring, for about 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked through. If shrimp are small, add them a few minutes after adding the chicken. The shrimp will be opaque and pink when done.
Spoon the chicken and shrimp mixture over hot cooked pasta or rice for serving. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.
- The dish may also me made with all chicken or all shrimp. Or make it with chicken and diced ham.
- Drizzle a tablespoon or two of fresh lemon juice over the chicken and shrimp just before the dish is done.
- Add minced shallots to the butter and olive oil along with the garlic and seasonings.
- Add a few tablespoons of sliced green onions to the butter and olive oil mixture along with the garlic.
You Might Also Like