This moist garlic roasted chicken is cooked in the slow cooker, for an easy, nearly hands-free meal. A small chicken is best, and it should be started on the high setting, to begin with in order to bring the slow cooker up to temperature.
Serve the chicken as a main dish with vegetables or use the cooked chicken meat in sandwiches, salads, casseroles, or soups.
Use a fresh refrigerated chicken or properly defrosted chicken, around 4 pounds. See the tips below the recipe for more flavor and cooking tips.
- Spread half of the garlic in the cavity and spread the rest on the outside of the bird.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker and place a few pats of butter on top of the chicken breasts or tuck them under the skin.
- Sprinkle the chicken, inside and out, with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and paprika.
- Add the remaining butter and chicken broth to the pot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce to LOW and cook for 5 to 7 hours longer, until tender and juices run clear.
- Serve the garlic butter sauce with the chicken.
Tips and variations
- If desired, add a quartered onion to the cavity along with unpeeled lemon or orange wedges and sprigs of herbs. Rosemary, parsley sprigs, thyme, sage, or chives are all good choices for aromatic herbs.
- Substitute a good Creole or Cajun seasoning for the salt, pepper, and paprika. Sprinkle it lightly all over and in the cavity of the bird.
- Use a cut up chicken in the recipe instead of a whole bird.
You Might Also Like