Here is another way of serving potatoes from the potato masters, the Germans. This is a good way of serving leftover potatoes, although you can certainly boil them just for this purpose. Browned in butter, these are a great side dish to cream schnitzel.
Serves 2 to 4 for dinner.
- 1 lb. starchy potatoes, such as Russets, about 4 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp. flour or more
- 2 egg yolks
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Boil the potatoes in their jackets until done, about 30 minutes. Peel potatoes and put them through a ricer.
- Add the flour, egg yolks, nutmeg and salt and mix into a stiff dough. Add a more flour, if necessary, to make the dough manageable. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Place dough on a floured board and form into a log. Cut the log into 16-20 pieces. Form each piece into a tapered cylinder by rolling between your hands. It should be thick in the middle and pointed on the ends.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Carefully add the noodles in a single layer and sauté on all sides until golden brown. Remove from pan and serve warm.
See other noodle and dumpling recipes: