This German potato salad is made with a tangy, sweet and sour bacon and egg dressing, and includes chopped green pepper and onion.
Garnish the salad with hard-cooked eggs and some chopped green onion or parsley.
Hot German Potato Salad
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes*
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or green onion tops, optional
- Cook the potatoes in a covered saucepan in boiling salted water until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the diced bacon until almost crisp. Add the onion and green bell pepper; cook for 3 minutes longer.
- In a bowl, combine beaten eggs with vinegar, sugar, and pepper; whisk to blend well.
- Gradually add egg mixture to the bacon and vegetables, stirring and cooking until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and toss gently with potatoes.
- Spoon the salad into a serving dish and garnish with sliced hard-boiled eggs and chopped green onion tops or parsley.
- *Use red potatoes, round whites, or Yukon gold potatoes. Unpeeled red potatoes or new potatoes make a beautiful salad, but peel them if you prefer.
- Makes about 6 to 8 side dish servings.
You Might Also Like