This German Vegetarian Tomato Spread (Brotaufstrich mit Tomaten) recipe makes great use of an abundance of fresh tomatoes from your garden, or the tomatoes you have already canned.
Three kinds of tomatoes are cooked together to give depth of aroma and flavor.This vegetarian tomato spread or dip can be made vegan by omitting the whipping cream.
With loads of lycopene and other good-for-you substances, you can't go wrong. Eat it straight on bread or add more veggies and cheese for a full, vegetarian sandwich (see more sandwich ideas, below, after the recipe directions).
Makes about 1 cup German Vegetarian Tomato Spread
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped finely)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (good quality)
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes (or home-canned tomatoes, drained, but reserve the juices, and chopped, or 3 to 4 fresh tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes (in oil, chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (30 to 36% milk fat)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons basil (fresh, chopped)
- In a medium saucepan, sauté 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1 finely chopped clove of garlic in 2 teaspoons good-quality olive oil until translucent, add drained (reserve the juices) diced tomatoes (or fresh, blanched, peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes), 1/4 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes, and 2 tablespoons tomato paste. Cook, adding reserved tomato juices as needed until vegetables are soft.
- Cook down to a thick paste. Add 2 tablespoons whipping cream and stir to bind. Remove from heat. Cool. Adjust seasonings and stir in 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil. Refrigerate and serve cold.
- Serve within 3 days or freeze by tablespoonfuls in ice-cube trays for sandwich fillings. You can take filling to work in a small plastic container, and it will thaw by lunchtime.
Note: To make a smoother spread, start with all your vegetables chopped finely. You also can whiz this in a food processor or with an immersion blender, if you would like it smoother.
Lunch Ideas Using Tomato Spread
- Fancy Sandwich: Leftover grilled eggplant, zucchini or bell pepper slices with tomato spread and thin slices of mozzarella or favorite cheese between.
- Simple: Just the tomato spread can be served between bread slices.
- New York Style: Cream cheese and tomato spread.
- Protein: Hard-cooked egg slices and tomato spread.
- Hot: Place a layer of tomato spread on bread, sprinkle with cheese of choice and broil for several minutes.