How do you get rid of stinkbugs that get in your home? Following are three methods that work.
Flush the Stinkbugs
- Caution: Take heed of the repeated “lightly.” Do not squeeze the bug or it will emit a stinky odor (thus its name).
Drown the Stinkbugs
- Hold the container beneath the bug.
- Use a small piece of paper or another stiff item to flick the bug.
- Since stinkbugs tend to fall down when disturbed, it will fall right into the solution. The soap adds to the bug’s absorption of the water causing it to quickly drown.
- Put the lid on the container but keep it nearby for the next stinkbug that dares enter!
- You can discard the whole container when there are more stinkbugs than you prefer to keep in it, or you can strain out the bugs and simply throw them in the trash. Since they are dead, they can no longer produce their odor.
Vacuum the Stinkbugs
- If using an upright or canister vacuum, only use those which have disposable bags, and dispose of the bag outside the home immediately after gathering up the stinkbugs.
- A small, portable vacuum can be purchased just for the use of gathering stink bugs. Again the bugs should be disposed outside the home immediately after collection. Washable parts should be cleaned and the interior of the hand vac sprayed with air freshener after each effort.
- A wet/dry vacuum also can be used. Mix soap as directed by the instructions of the vacuum, then run long enough to get some of the solution in the receiving container. As you vacuum up the bugs, they will be absorbed into the soap solution and die. Make sure the vacuum is one from which the bugs can be easily