Welcome to the 7-Day Spruce Up: Get Summer Ready!
It's time to dust off your patio furniture and fire up your grill—the summer season is finally here. Making sure your outdoor space is primed and prepped for summer is essential to getting the most enjoyment (and use) out of your backyard or patio. But, with that comes lots of planning and organizing, so we're here to help.
From cleaning the deck or patio, to prepping the pool, to freshening up your furniture and more, this day-by-day plan will put you on the path to having a summer-ready backyard in no time.
Day 1: Hit the Deck (or Patio)
The first step to a summer-ready outdoor space, before setting any plants or furniture out, is to make sure your patio or deck is as clean as possible. You should also use this time to ensure that any repairs from winter damage are taken care of, and seal the deck if necessary to protect it from the elements.
- 68 Patio Ideas That Will Make You Want to Live Outside
- How to Repair Cracks in a Concrete Patio
- How to Clean and Refinish a Wood Deck
- Restore Your Deck's Natural Beauty with These 8 Efficient Deck Cleaners—Starting at $17
- Stain and Seal: 9 Affordable and Durable Paints for Your Deck
Day 2: Prepare the Pool
It's time to open your pool for summer! Get it ready for all those summer pool parties, or for just lounging day after day. From inspirational pool ideas to the cleaning products you need to make your pool water healthy, we've got you covered.
- A Guide to Opening a Pool for Swimming Season
- 75 Beautiful Swimming Pool Ideas to Inspire You
- How to Shock a Pool in 4 Easy Steps
- 15 Pool Floats to Help You Enjoy Every Hot Day of Summer
- Pool Cleaners You Need to Keep Your Oasis in Top Shape
- No More Leaves in Your Pool—9 Filters to Keep It Spotless
Day 3: Freshen Up Furniture
Is your outdoor furniture ready for the summer months? Whether you have wicker and fabric furniture or a wood dining set, keeping these items clean and in great shape will help you enjoy them for years to come.
- How to Clean an Indoor-Outdoor Carpet
- How to Clean Outdoor Umbrellas
- How to Clean Outdoor Cushions and Fabric Furniture
- How to Clean White Plastic Patio Chairs
- Prep for Guests With These 10 Affordable Chairs, Couches, and Tables from Walmart
- Extend the Life of Your Outdoor Furniture With These All-Season Covers
Day 4: Remember Your Roots
Your outdoor space isn't ready until your garden has received a little bit of TLC. And it doesn't matter whether you're an experienced gardener or a beginner—these garden ideas and tool tips will help you create and maintain your most beautiful garden yet.
- Your Complete Summer Yard Care To-Do List
- How to Clean Garden Tools
- 30 Clever Garden Trellis Ideas for Your Outdoor Space
- 33 DIY Garden Ideas to Adorn Any Backyard
- Small Space? A Garden Trellis Lets You Double Your Planting Area
- We Tested 30 Hoses for Over 6 Months and These 7 Are Our Winners
- The Only 10 Tools You Need to Garden This Summer
Day 5: Shape Your Space
Now comes the fun part: outdoor decorating. We are firm believers that your outdoor space deserves the same design attention as your interiors, and with these decorating ideas, your deck, patio, and backyard will be looking snazzy in no time. And if you're one for a good DIY project, we have several for you to try, from mini flower gardens to DIY outdoor chandeliers.
- 5 Outdoor Decorating Trends Experts Say Will Bloom in 2023
- 17 DIY Outdoor Decor Projects for a Crafty Makeover
- 16 Ways to Decorate Your Outdoor Walls for Warm Weather
- 6 Designer-Approved Ways to Give Your Backyard the Makeover It Needs
- 22 Super-Stylish Outdoor Decor Pieces We Found on Amazon
- The Perfect Patio Tables for Big and Small Spaces
- 10 Patio Furniture Sets That Will Transform Your Outdoor Space
Day 6: Say Goodbye to Pesky Pests
Nothing kills the mood outdoors like pesky pests. Though we share our outdoor homes with lots of beneficial insects, there are others that you likely want to eliminate—looking at you, spotted lanternflies. From mosquitos to flying ants, tackle outdoor pest control with these tips, tricks, and Spruce-approved bug repellants.
- DIY Mosquito Traps With Yeast, Dry Ice, or Buckets
- Do Citronella Candles Work? Repellents to Try Instead
- Do Dryer Sheets Repel Insects?
- The 9 Best Bug Repellents to Keep Pests Away
- Stop Bugs Before They Bite With Bug Zappers
Day 7: Fun in the Sun
What's a lovely, well-decorated outdoor space without guests to enjoy it with you? We break down what guests will always notice about your outdoor space and even complied some entertaining tricks that are approved by designers. Throw the best outdoor get-togethers with these helpful hacks—they're sure to keep the backyard barbeques and late-night pool parties flowing all summer long.
- How to Throw an Outdoor Party
- 20 Essentials for Summer Entertaining
- 6 Things Party Guests Always Notice About Your Home
- 7 Mistakes You Make as a Summer Party Guest
- 6 Tips and Tricks for Entertaining Al Fresco, As Told By a Pro
- Attending an Outdoor Soirée? We Found 10 Gifts All Hosts Will Love
- Dine Al Fresco All Summer Long With These Patio Dining Sets