This goes nicely with cold poached chicken or with many types of fish.
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped scallion (green onion)
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (2 1/2 - 3 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1. Set scallions aside in a small heatproof bowl. Stir in the ginger and salt.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until it is shimmering on the bottom and very hot but not yet smoking (about 300° F).
3. Carefully pour the oil into the scallion/ginger mixture. It will sizzle for a few seconds. Once it stops sizzling, stir, and then let stand for 2 minutes before serving.
Ginger Scallion Sauce - it makes a nice accompaniment to seafood