This super simple four ingredient pie crust is really good with pumpkin pie or any ice cream filling. It's great for beginning cooks because there's no messing around with shortening and water, or cutting flour into fat. Just mix some crumbs with sugar, butter, and ground ginger and pat it into the pan.
You can use this recipe to make pumpkin pie, any fruit pie, or any pie that's fluffy, such as a gelatin pie that has whipped cream or whipped topping folded in. Try filling it with a combination of 3 cups ice cream plus a 10 ounce jar of lemon curd or a can of frozen lemonade concentrate.
And you can make this crust with any type of cookie crumbs. Just follow the basic proportions of cookie crumbs to sugar and melted butter. Omit the ginger if you are using other types of cookies. You could substitute ground cinnamon or nutmeg in place of the ginger if you'd like; just follow your own tastes and use what you think would be good.
Try Oreo cookies, peanut butter cookies, sugar cookies, or shortbread cookies. There are infinite variations and infinite fillings that make this simple recipe a special dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups gingersnap cookies (crumbled)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (brown)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the cookie crumbs, brown sugar, ground ginger, and melted butter in a medium bowl until you can pick up some of the mixture and press it into a ball that holds together.
- Press the crumb mixture into a greased 9" pie pan. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, until the crust is set. Remove the pie crust from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before filling with cooked fruit, ice cream, pudding, or anything you'd like.