This easy recipe for glazed carrots makes a nice side dish for a family dinner or holiday occasion. The combination of flavors in the five-spice powder - sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, and salt - add a powerful punch to the sweet glazed carrots.
- Wash and chop the carrots. Combine the water, soy sauce and sugar and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the carrots.
- Add the five-spice powder, stirring in with the carrots.
- Add the water, soy sauce, and sugar mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and gently simmer the carrots until they are tender and pierce easily with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Turn the heat up to high and cook the carrots, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is burned off (5 to 7 minutes). Serve hot.