Apple muffins for breakfast, afternoon snack, or evening dessert. One pan can serve up so many opportunities to taste a bit of fall in a delicious gluten-free way.
This Gluten-Free Apple Oat Muffin recipe is an adaptation of "Apple Oat-Bran Muffins" from The Good Carb Cookbook by Sandra Woodruff, M.S., R.D.
Gluten-free oats have less carbs than other gluten-free grains, including white or brown rice, sorghum, amaranth and teff, making gluten-free oats a good grain alternative for those looking to cut excess carbs from their gluten-free diet.
When introducing gluten- free oats to your diet, most Celiac support organizations recommend that you start slowly to be sure that you can tolerate them.
Edited by Stephanie Kirkos, October 2016.
- 2 cups freshly ground certified gluten-free oatmeal (rolled oats)
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plain, gluten-free yogurt
- 1/2 cup good quality 100% apple juice
- 2 lightly beaten large eggs plus one egg white
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil OR canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded apple (about one large apple - do not peel the apple)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to sprinkle on muffins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Use a clean coffee bean grinder to process 2 cups of certified gluten-free oats into oat flour. Depending on the size of your grinder, you may have to do this in batches.
- Place oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Lightly beat eggs in a separate small bowl. Add yogurt, apple juice, oil and vanilla. Whisk to blend and pour into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir to thoroughly blend.
- Fold in shredded apple and walnuts. Stir just until blended.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners, or lightly grease pan and fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean.
- Sprinkle hot muffins with cinnamon sugar mixture and allow muffins to cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving.
Tip: Use a cheese grater to shred apple.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.