Trifle is the ultimate party dessert. Beautifully presented with all of its glorious layers, easy to prepare, and a dessert that can be made in well advance of a gathering. Trifle is a crowd-pleasing dish that will feed a crowd from just one trifle bowl.
This Black Forest Brownie Trifle is my favorite trifle variation and one I grew up with. It has been my Nana's go-to dessert for a party or holiday for years. She even bought me a trifle bowl and mini trifle bowls as a wedding gift - she knows I can't get enough trifle.
Trifle is easy to prepare and can be made in advance of a party. If you don't have time to bake gluten-free brownies or chill gluten-free chocolate pudding, you can buy versions already prepared and ready to go.
My favorite gluten-free brownie mix is by Betty Crocker. So chewy and fudgy, you would never know it's gluten-free.
Assembling the trifle simply means dividing the delicious ingredients in half then layering on top of one another in a trifle bowl. This simple and easy presentation certainly impresses.
As a final garnish, shave dark chocolate over top the final layer of whipped cream. Scoop the trifle into bowls - no slicing and serving. It's a deliciously messy affair, so get a big spoon and dig in!
- 1 package favorite gluten-free brownie mix, prepared according to package directions, cooled and broken into pieces
- 2 packages gluten-free instant chocolate pudding, prepared according to package directions (or homemade), chilled
- 1 30oz can gluten-free cherry pie filling (or homemade)
- 1 large tub, Cool Whip
- 1 oz piece dark chocolate, for garnish (optional)
- Cook gluten-free brownies according to package directions. Set aside to cool completely before using for the trifle. Break apart with your hands into bite-size pieces.
- Prepare gluten-free chocolate pudding according to package directions. Chill until thickened and cold.
- To prepare the trifle, layer the bottom of the bowl with half of the brownie pieces. Spoon half the chocolate pudding over top, followed by half the cherry pie filling and half the whipped cream. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with a whipped cream layer. (Note: The layers do not have to be perfectly even, you can dollop instead of smoothing over).
- Chill assembled trifle an hour prior to serving.
- Using a micoplane zester/grater, shave the dark chocolate over top the final whipped cream layer, for garnish, prior to serving.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels - not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.