A delicious and elegant dinner that doesn't take long to prepare IS possible on a busy weeknight. This gluten-free chicken dish is filling, packed with flavor, and takes less than 30 minutes to bake.
Mayonnaise may seem like an odd ingredient to combine with chicken (this recipe is actually adapted from a recipe on a Hellmann's jar!) A thin layer over top a boneless, skinless chicken breast helps lock in moisture and flavor. When combined with dried minced onion, the mayonnaise layer forms a scrumptious crust over the chicken.
We used Hellmann's Mayonnaise with Olive Oil because it contains fewer calories and less fat than regular mayonnaise, but you can use whichever brand of mayonnaise you prefer (ensuring it is gluten-free of course, always read labels!)
Once the chicken is nearly done baking, low moisture part skim, shredded mozzarella is added to create a second layer of deliciousness. To finish off the chicken with traditional Caprese style flavors, sliced tomatoes are arranged over top followed by freshly chopped basil.
Really want to kick the flavor up a notch? Finish off the dish with a drizzle of balsamic reduction, which is super easy to make from scratch.
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (We use Bob's Red Mill)
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise (We use Hellmann's Mayonnaise with Olive Oil)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3-4 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/4 cup low moisture part skim shredded mozzarella (or more, for a really cheesy chicken)
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 5-6 large fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped (We snip with kitchen scissors)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Add the gluten-free flour to the bottom of a shallow dish. Season generously with sea salt and pepper and whisk with a fork to combine.
- Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry with a paper towel. Coat both chicken breasts completely in the gluten-free flour, shaking gently to remove excess flour. Place both chicken breasts on the lined baking sheet.
- Evenly distribute the mayonnaise between the two chicken breasts, using a small spatula or the backside of a spoon to completely coat the tops and sides with a thin layer of mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle the dried seasoning on top of the mayonnaise layer, adding the minced onion last.
- Bake the chicken breasts for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and add a layer of shredded mozzarella over top each breast. Bake for an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted and chicken is completely cooked through.*
- Remove chicken breasts from oven and let sit 5 minutes. Arrange 2-3 slices of tomato over top each breast, followed by freshly chopped basil. Finish with a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Serve immediately.
*Be sure to cook the chicken completely through to reduce the risk of food borne illness.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels to confirm the product is gluten-free. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.