Carob is a delicious substitute for cocoa in brownie recipes.
Carob powder is naturally sweeter than cocoa powder and is a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium and selenium.
Look for roasted carob powder in health food stores and large grocery stores. I used Chatfield's Carob Powder in this recipe. NOTE: Chatfield's Carob Powder is manufactured on equipment used to process milk, eggs, soybeans, tree nuts, shellfish, fish oil and peanuts.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour (homemade or your favorite brand)
- 6 tablespoons roasted carob powder (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon gluten-free powdered sugar (to sprinkle on baked brownies)
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C for metal pan OR 325° F / 163° C for glass baking dish
- Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Use an electric beater or stand mixer to cream the mixture until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and nuts (optional.) Beat just until wet and dry ingredients are combined. Scrape brownie mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Baking in metal pan - for about 25 minutes at 350° F / 176° C OR for about 35 minutes at 325° F / 163° C (if using a glass pan.)
- Watch cooking times carefully. When a toothpick inserted into the center of the baking dish comes out clean brownies are done. Don't overbake or brownies will be hard!
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. When cooled sprinkle with gluten-free powdered sugar (optional.)
- Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.