A plate of Christmas cookies that is both delicious and festive is a holiday dessert win. These Cherry & Nut Christmas cookies are gluten-free, although one would never guess.
Buttery and subtly sweet with a Christmas red cherry on top, these gluten-free Christmas cookies add both pop and splendor to a holiday cookie tray or gift box.
The base of the cookie itself is very simple, just butter, sugar, egg yolks, and gluten-free flour. You can make your own gluten-free flour blend from scratch combining a variety of flours and starches to imitate the properties of gluten - this blend by Gluten-Free Girl is a winner.
If you don't have the time this busy holiday season to make your own blend, I recommend using either Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour or King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour. I have made Christmas cookies with both blends that yielded beautifully delicious results.
These gluten-free Christmas cookies are rolled in finely chopped pecans and garnished with half a cherry then baked golden brown. They taste best two days after baking when all the flavors truly come together. As you wait for the flavors to mature, store the cookies in an air tight container or cookie tin.
With their buttery, crumbly, subtly sweet taste and texture, these cookies pair very well with after dinner coffee or tea (or after dinner drinks).
- 8 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar + more for garnishing
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 cups gluten-free baking flour (I like Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour or King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour)
- 2-3 cups finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- at least 18 maraschino cherries, halved
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet (or a few, if you have more than one) with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add eggs yolks one at a time, mixing on medium speed until well combined.
- Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until well combined.
- Roll one tablespoon of dough into a round ball. Roll the dough ball in egg whites then in chopped nuts. Place on the rimmed baking sheet, spacing the dough balls at 2 inches apart.
- Press down gently on each dough ball with a glass dipped in granulated sugar to flatten slightly into a round cookie.
- Bake cookies for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and place half of a cherry in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return cookies to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Use a spatula to remove cookies from baking sheet and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store cookies in an air tight container or cookie tin, using wax paper between layers of cookies.
- These cookies taste best 2-3 days after baking and enjoyed along with coffee or tea.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels to confirm the product is gluten-free. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.