This easy recipe for a gluten-free flourless chocolate cake with silky chocolate glaze is a decadent finale to any special celebration.
This recipe is an adaptation of this flourless chocolate cake recipe.
This gluten-free version is smaller than most flourless chocolate cake recipes, but don't let the diminutive size fool you, one small wedge delivers a big dose of buttery-rich chocolate flavor.
If you have a 7-inch tart pan with fluted edges and a removable bottom, the cake bakes up with fancy edges and is easy to remove from the pan after baking.
- For the Cake:
- 6 (1-ounce) squares coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large room-temperature eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Glaze:
- 2 (1-ounce) squares coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk OR light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons agave syrup OR honey
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
Make the Cake
- Heat oven to 350 F. Spray a 7-inch tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. If you don't have a tart pan, use a 6- to 7-inch springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray the paper.
- Melt 6 ounces of chopped chocolate and 4 ounces butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until chocolate and butter are melted and smooth.
- Add sugar and salt and reduce heat to low. Cook while stirring for about 1 minute, until sugar starts to dissolve.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. The mixture will look smooth and glossy.
- Use a mesh hand sieve to sift cocoa powder into the mixture. This prevents lumps. Whisk until the cake batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in the heated oven for about 25 minutes. The center of the cake should be just firm to the touch but be careful to not overbake the cake or it will be dry.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a plate.
Make the Glaze
- Melt 2 ounces of chopped chocolate and 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in the same saucepan you used to make the cake. When melted and smooth, remove the pan from heat.
- Add milk and agave syrup OR honey and 1/8 teaspoon vanilla and stir until smooth and glossy. Let the glaze cool for about 3 minutes before pouring it on the cake.
- Pour all of the glaze in the middle of the cake. Use a silicone or rubber spatula to spread the glaze evenly over the cake, allowing the glaze to evenly run down the sides of the cake.
- Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten.
- Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice.
- When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.