What makes these gluten-free cookies so good? They are moist and delicious and taste like brownies! But what really sets this recipe apart is the small amount of flour, sugar and butter called for, especially compared to most cookie recipes.
Based on a recipe for "Chocolate Truffle Cookies with Sea Salt" from Ghirardelli Chocolates, our recipe calls for a healthy measure of chopped walnuts and we've omitted the additional sea salt called for in Ghirardelli's original recipe.
After baking be sure to let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for at least 10 minutes before using a spatula to remove them to a wire rack. Place the cooled cookies in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for an extra chewy brownie-like texture and flavor.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (10 ounces) Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips for melting PLUS 1/3 cup (2 ounces) chocolate chips to stir in to the dough at the end of preparation
- 1/4 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour mix (Gluten-Free Pantry All Purpose Flour used in this recipe with good results)
- 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (not too coarse, not too fine)
- NOTE: The gluten-free all purpose flour used in this recipe contains added guar gum. No other gums are called for in the recipe. For best results, don't substitute another gluten-free flour in the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking pads.
- Place gluten-free all purpose flour blend, gluten-free baking powder and salt in a small bowl and whisk to thoroughly blend. Set aside.
- Melt 1 1/2 cups (10 ounces) chocolate chips with butter over a double doubler. When mixture melts and is smooth remove from heat.
- Place two large eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat on high until the mixture is fluffy. Add vanilla extract and stir to blend.
- Add melted chocolate / butter mixture to the egg / sugar mixture. Stir to thoroughly blend. Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Finally, stir in additional 1/3 cup (2 ounces) chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Use a rounded tablespoon to scoop cookie dough and place cookies about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before using a metal spatula to remove from baking sheet to a wire cooling rack. When cookies are completely cool place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.