Gluten is frequently added to commercial soups and stocks. Making your own fresh cream of vegetable soups is truly fast and easy. Amaranth flour works beautifully as a thickener for gluten-free cream soups. It provides both a creamy texture and a mild taste without overpowering the fresh vegetable flavors. Here are 5 gluten-free cream of fresh vegetable soup recipes but feel free to add your own favorite, in-season garden fresh vegetables, herbs, and seasonings.
- 3 ½ cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter OR olive oil
- 3 tablespoons amaranth flour
- 1 fresh minced clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon GF onion powder, or to taste (not onion salt)
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half OR dairy substitute (light coconut milk works well)
- 3 cups fresh vegetables
- Fresh cracked white pepper to taste
- Garnish with homemade gluten free crackers
- Steam fresh vegetables until tender but not overcooked. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot, on medium heat, melt butter or heat olive oil, whisk in amaranth flour to form a paste.
- Add minced garlic and continue to whisk for about one minute until smooth and bubbly and the garlic is lightly cooked.
- Slowly add gluten free chicken broth while whisking constantly. Whisk until this mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add vegetables, cream, and seasonings and stir until smooth.
- Cool. Place mixture in a blender and process several seconds until vegetables are liquefied.
Serve warm or cool completely and freeze.
Five Fresh Cream of Vegetable Soup Variations-
Add seasonings after adding the liquids to the cream soup base.
- Fresh Cream of Asparagus Soup- Steam asparagus until tender. Add ½ teaspoon nutmeg and 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
- Fresh Cream of Broccoli Soup- Steam broccoli until tender. Add 1 tablespoon fresh OR 2 teaspoon dry thyme.
- Fresh Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup- Chop mushrooms and saute in 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil until tender. Add ½ teaspoon nutmeg or mace and 1 tablespoon dry sherry.
- Fresh Cream of Potato Soup- Boil peeled, cubed potatoes until tender, but not over-cooked. Sauté ½ cup thinly sliced leeks with 1 tablespoon butter. Dice one strip of cooked bacon. Add 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dry thyme.
- Fresh Cream of Tomato Soup- Peel tomatoes, chop and remove seeds. Add 1 tablespoon fresh finely minced basil OR 1 teaspoon dry basil, ½ teaspoon fresh finely minced oregano OR ¼ teaspoon dry oregano.
Tip: When buying ready-made chicken stock carefully read labels- make sure you are buying a gluten free product.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.