This recipe for Gluten-Free Gingerbread Men is adapted from a recipe by Jacqueline Mallorca, "Rice Flour Gingerbread Cows", featured in her fabulous cookbook, "The Wheat-Free Cook".
This version is corn free as well as gluten-free and is extra-extra gingery- so cut back on the ginger if you like.
The gingerbread men are decorated with small amounts of Royal Icing and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting but use raisins and nuts for a charming a natural touch.
More Gluten-Free Holiday Cookie and Candy Recipes
- 1 cup superfine brown rice flour (source link below)
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger (use 1 teaspoon if you don't like a heavy ginger taste)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons guar gum
- 1/2 cup dark, unsulfered molasses
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Extra rice flour for dusting when rolling and cutting out cookies
- 1 recipe for Royal Icing (recipe link below)
- 1 recipe for Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (recipe link below)
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease
- Sift all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, beating on high speed for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Slowly add dry, sifted ingredients to butter mixture and beat just until stiff dough forms.
- Place dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap lightly dusted with sweet rice flour. Roll out to 1/8 inch thick.
- Dip gingerbread cookie cutter in sweet rice flour and cut out gingerbread men. Use a flour-dusted spatula to transfer cookies to baking sheet. If the dough should get too soft while you are working with it, just place it in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven, or until cookies is firm to the touch. Cool, and decorate with Royal Icing and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe from Diana Rattray, About.com Guide to Southern Cooking
Superfine Brown Rice Flour used in this recipe-
Authentic Foods Superfine Brown Rice Flour
Authentic Foods Gluten Free Products Online
Yield- About 20 medium cookies. Depends on the size of your gingerbread cookie cutter.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten. User Reviews